For current volunteers:
Please click here for current schedules and time-keeping.
If you have any questions regarding volunteering please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 505-983-4309 x128.
Volunteering: The animals need you!
We at the Santa Fe Animal Shelter maintain an active and vital volunteer program that encourages volunteers to participate both directly with animals as well as doing “behind the curtain” work such as administrative assistance and kennel maintenance, returning feral cats to the wild streets of Santa Fe County and assisting in surgery.
Whether you wish to volunteer by spending time directly with the animals, by teaching humane principles to children, or any number of other volunteer opportunities, we and the animals welcome your help. To see a list of current volunteer needs please click here.
• Must be at least 12 years or older.
• Volunteers 12 and 15 years old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Both the parent and child must submit applications and attend training for desired service.
• If interested in direct animal handling you must commit to six-months of two hours a week.
• Anyone handling animals must attend animal handling classes provided at the Shelter.
If you cannot commit to six months, try our “Experience the Shelter” Option. Please check back later for more information.
Please see the list of opportunities by clicking here, or contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to get started:
1. Fill out an application online, by clicking here. If your availability and interests fit with open volunteer positions, we'll contact you through email with additional instructions. If you do not have email access, please make a note in your application along with the best way to contact you.
2. When you receive the Potential Volunteer Email, please complete the questionnaire attached and send it back to the Volunteer Coordinator.
3. Depending on the type of volunteer work you are interested in, there will be additional training required that the Volunteer Coordinator will schedule at the appropriate time.
Shelter Foster Families
We need foster families! Our foster families care for animals that aren’t ready for adoption. Most foster placements are two to six weeks, and are for nursing mothers and their litters, young kittens, puppies, injured pets or animals needing socialization or time away from the shelter.
Our New Hope Program, which encompasses fosters, transfers and rescues, truly offers a second chance to so many wonderful animals.
For more information or to become a Shelter Foster Family, call 983-4309 x 270 or e-mail email@example.com.
To fill out an online application to become a foster parent, please click HERE.
Court-ordered Community Service
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. The Santa Fe Animal Shelter will not accept individuals convicted of any violent crime toward people or animals or any felony drug offenses. To fill out the community service application online please click HERE. Once the application is submitted the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to set up a meeting.
For further question regarding community service at the Santa Fe Animal Shelter please call the Volunteer Coordinator at 983-4309 ext. 128.